Gambling in Vegas: Beating the Odds

Las Vegas is home to some of the most comprehensive and complex gaming machines one will find. From slots to sports betting, Vegas has always been the home for gamblers to try to define the set odds. Winning in Vegas often requires a deep pocketbook and thick skin for when you are down on your luck. Luck isn’t the only element at stake when you gamble in Vegas and below we’ll detail how you can take advantage of some machines that can help you defy the odds.


All slot machines and video poker machines in Las Vegas operate at about a 94% payback. Leaving the house edge at an average of 6%. The odds are not in your favor generally speaking when looking to play slot machines. Defining the house edge leaves you with little room to operate. The percentage of the house edge is divided up amongst the casino’s machines and a larger portion of this is dedicated to the higher dollar machines. Machines that require a higher minimum bet will be your best selection for a greater chance of winning. Not only are your chances greater, but the payouts will be larger in sum when compared to penny and nickel machines.


A second form of increasing your chances of winning is playing machines that involve choices. Choosing between 2 or 3 different options gives you an advantage in variability. This variance works much like the game of Let’s Make a Deal. If the contestant made it to the final showcase they had a choice between three curtains. One curtain that the contestant didn’t choose was opened to show a desirable prize. Once that took place the contestant had the choice of whether or not they wanted to keep their original choice or swap it out for the other remaining unknown showcase. By making the swap, the contestant would increase their chances of winning by 33.3% and would create better odds than they originally had. One machine that this advantage can be found on is a Deal or No Deal slot machine. During your playing period if you eliminate all options down to two choices, swap your original case and your odds will go from a chance to favoring higher payouts. Other machines are featured like the one mentioned, so make sure you do your homework in scouting these options out.


Reverting back to the first technique, always have thick skin when it comes to your betting. Playing the penny and nickel slots will eventually burn your bankroll out, it will often just take more time to do so. Playing machines that have a $5-$10 minimum bet marks your best options as their house edge is much more penetrable. Continued playing will increase your odds of hitting that big payout, so while you could go downhill quickly, your chances of hitting it big become much more manageable.


The best playing options aren’t always the most attractive games. Newer games in the casino are the ones that feature all the bells and whistles. They are lit up rather brightly and they attract your line of vision from the second you set foot on the casino playing floor. Stay far away from these options as they often mark odds that are practically insurmountable for the player. The least attractive options are often the ones that you should draw your attention towards. There is a reason they are located in the corners or in rather obscure locations. These machines feature better odds than the ones that are often toted as ‘featured’ slots.
Always remember that the odds are virtually never in your favor. There is no guaranteed way to beat the odds in Vegas and this guide remains a tool for increasing your odds. You can always increase your odds of winning, but you can never guarantee that these favorable odds will lead to huge payouts and jackpot wins.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *